Friday, April 6, 2007

Mitt Romney: veto-phile!

Mitt Romney's latest strategy is an interesting one - Mitt love's vetoes.

This comes as a bit of a change from the current situation: George Bush's repeated (but rarely fulfilled) veto threats are treated almost as Constitutional crises by the media, who seem to forget that vetoing bills is one of the standard practices of presidents and governors alike.

GOVERNOR MITT ROMNEY: "If I'm elected President, I'm going to cap non-defense discretionary spending at inflation minus one percent.

"That would save $300 billion in 10 years.

"And if Congress sends me a budget that exceeds that cap, I will veto that budget.

"And I know how to veto. I like vetoes. I've vetoed hundreds of spending appropriations as Governor.

"And frankly, I can't wait to get my hands on Washington!
Of course, Mitt became extremely well acquainted with vetoes during his governorship. Being a Republican governor in a heavily Democratic state, he could rarely control the debate and often found himself at odds with the desires of the State House.

While his appeal for vetoes seems to imply that he expects the Democrats to hold onto Congress after 2008, what Romney doesn't brag about is that many of his vetoes were subsequently overridden.

Among the bills he vetoed as governor:
A bill allowing stem cell research.
An increase in the state's minimum wage.
A bill funding flood control for a recently inundated town.
Expanded access to emergency contraception (the "morning after pill").
A line item requiring companies to contribute to health insurance.
and of course, a bill creating a gay and lesbian youth commision.

He had also hoped to veto a wind farm of the coast of Cape Cod, but didn't get the chance.

No comments: