Monday, August 6, 2007

Mitt Romney and the Attack of the Clones

I've always found it a little baffling that Mitt Romney, recent convert to the pro-life cause, wasn't won over by the fact that millions of children have been aborted since Roe vs. Wade was decided.

He was won over by the fantasy that scientists were on the verge of creating a new clone army:

ROMNEY: I am pro-life. That’s the truth. And several years ago, when we faced the issue of cloning of embryos in our state, I wrote an op-ed piece in the Boston Globe and said I’m pro-life.

Here were his views on abortion when he was campaigning for Senator of the most liberal state in the Union:

In an October 1994 debate with US Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Democrat of Massachusetts, Romney said: ''I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I have since the time that my mom took that position when she ran in 1970 as a US Senate candidate. I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it."

No comments: