Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Mitt Romney, you're no Harry Truman

From the last Republican debate:
MR. BLITZER: In 1994 you were quoted as saying that you advocated gays being able to serve openly and honestly in our nation’s military. The question to you is, do you still feel that way?

MR. ROMNEY: No, actually, when I first heard of the “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, I thought it sounded awfully silly. I didn’t think that would be very effective. And I turned out to be wrong. It’s been the policy now in the military for what, 10, 15 years, and it seems to be working. And I agree with what Mayor Giuliani said: that this is not the time to put in place a major change, a social experiment, in the middle of a war going on. I wouldn’t change it at this point. We can look at down the road.
My guess is he'd feel differently if Mormons were being excluded from military service, but as Matthew Yglesias asks, didn't Harry Truman desegregate the military during the height of the Korean war?

Why yes. Yes he did.

No comments: